Here are the shells from shapeways. I got a couple printed as a test. I’m very happy with the results. I made a few adjustments and sent off for another two. Hopefully those work out and then I can order the remainder. Here’s some pics:
NB – The “latch” and “hitch” refer to the threaded parts that allow the modules to weave together like a pill bottle…not at all the right terminology but they stuck with me, so I’ve used them.
Here’s what I changed about the shells for the the next tests.
- removed the slop in the ring connections.
- extended roller rests
- widened roller wings to better fit roller contacts
- made some stabilizing wings for servo to constrain side to side movement
- increased the cuts for the “hitch” and “latch” on the connector rings to make connecting and disconnecting easier
- removed the bottom ring on the connector that was no longer of use
- shortened servo rest
- added a servo rest above servo to limit front to back movement
Crap I just realized that I’ve only tested them by spinning them by hand…still have to finish a complete assembly where the servo moves them and is triggered by capacitive sensors under the hood. So much to do!!!